Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Crisis!


Invest in Spain!

Jose sent me this picture this morning, and I couldn't resist posting it.
As the media covers the Spanish crisis I go between believing that it is mostly a media induced panic that causes even the youngest of my students to stutter "but...the crisis!" to almost anything anyone says, and between believing that it's only a matter of luck that we haven't been affected by it, yet. In fact, after last year's dramatic increase in gas and basic food costs, things have stayed the same or even gotten a little cheaper.

I don't doubt the existence of "the crisis", but I do wonder about just how much of our daily lives it affects. I'm sure, for those waiting for an apartment, it is a source of constant worry. And maybe I should be worried, working in the service industry. Yet, looking at the enrollment of the school where I work (we're really full) and the state of Spain's English, I can't get too worked up about it yet. Plus, there are good things for those who aren't constructors and aren't waiting for an apartment to be built. Cheaper cars and houses, for one, and higher interest rates, for another.

So, as everyone is settling into our new, terrible economy and getting used to waiting it out, I'm watching the news and comparing how much of what they report reflects in my wallet.

No comments: